Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to everyone out there. I read a quote from Obama who said that it is what he aspires to be - a good father.

I suppose it is an easy thing to say and I'm sure he feels it - I do too. Yet it isn't the easiest job in the world by any means. There are a lot of men out there who shirk the responsibility.

My kids are pretty easy to get along with - they do what needs to be done to stay out of the doghouse on any given day. They are a joy to be around and certainly have plenty of capabilities, but as a father who does want to be responsible there are plenty of things to worry about.

My one goal as a father is simply to be there for the boys. My Dad was mostly always there - he had to travel a bit to provide - but he was ever-present. I still recall the cards and notes he sent to me when I was away at college - there was always money tucked in there - money that he scraped together without telling my mother. I'm sure he did it for every kid.

And Dad was always full of advice - opinionated and always ready to do battle - he never hesitated to set us straight on any subject. We had a nice little battle about the merits of Joe Girardi as Yankee manager just last week.

So where does that leave me as a father? Kids watch and learn. They imitate (I don't want them imitating all of my behaviors), they irritate (Matt, Sam and Jake love taunting me with the rap music they have on their I-Pods), and once in awhile they certainly appreciate.

I'm right there with Obama when he claims that it is the most difficult job he'll ever have (although the economy is proving to be a worthy challenge).

Yet it is also certainly the most rewarding job on the planet too.

Here's hoping that all Dad's reading this are up for the challenge.

And to my boys - thanks for making the job so much fun.

Comments

pcorwin said…
Happy Father's Day to you Buddy.....
John said…
It sure does make it all worthwhile. Have a great Father's Day bro!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty