I Don't Like Lance Armstrong

Yeah, yeah, I know the story. The amazing courage to beat cancer. I watched an inspirational film of his life and read his life story. I actually used one of his films for an inspirational story in one of the classes that I was teaching.

Then I read more about how he left his wife and family after they helped him win his inspirational battle with cancer. How he dropped Sheryl Crow when she needed him during her treatment for breast cancer. How he supposedly hooked up with one of the Olsen twins. How he allegedly used steroids, or skipped the test, and bashed the whole bike-riding federation.

I was thinking about it today because I just saw a commercial about how he didn't care that people think he's arrogant, or a cheater, or a fraud. It ended with the Nike logo and the Just Do It slogan.

In other words, it doesn't matter who he left shattered along the way - after all - it's Lance's world and we're just living in it.

And the greatest athlete ever? He rides a bike! There was a whole pack of kids riding their bikes around my neighborhood the other day and they never copped out of a steroids test and blamed everyone for doubting their integrity.

So we are supposed to believe in his integrity when it comes to riding his bike when he lacks integrity in every other facet of his life? Liar, cheater, fraud...didn't see those words in his inspirational book.

Speaking of liars, cheats and frauds, Madoff got 150 years. Sounds about right, but I can't help but root for one person to out live such a sentence. Seriously, wouldn't it be cool if he went to prison as a 70-year old man and actually served his whole sentence. Could you imagine the looks on the faces of the parole board in the year 2160 when he enters the room and declares himself a free man.

He probably won't make it.

Hopefully, he can sit back, relax and root for Lance Armstrong as he tries to win another long bike race that no one cares about. One man without integrity rooting for another.

Glad I got that off my chest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie