Thank-You

Perhaps what drives us down is our inability to say Thank-You. I've always enjoyed Thanksgiving and not just because I can gorge myself with a clearer conscience then is allowed on the other 364 days of the year - when I am also over-eating. No, Thanksgiving is a day of thanks that always allows me to consider my family and friends.

I awoke to the news of the terrorist attack in India, and the headlines screaming that we need to spend some money to get the economy going again. I sort of sifted through the debris of what has happened and centered on a story about George W. pardoning a turkey. They actually made him pardon two turkeys saying that he will probably screw up the first pardon so they better be sure and make him pardon two. He still bungled the speech, but hey pretty soon he'll be back drinking in Texas, leaving us all to live free.

Yet I digress - what am I thankful for?

I'm thankful to be able to tell Bush jokes and to live in a land where free debate is still possible.

I'm thankful to be able to sit down today and over-eat and over-drink.

I'm thankful that my wife is currently reading ads so that she can make Christmas a wonderful over-indulgence for all. I'm also thankful for the peace and quiet that comes along with her reading and re-reading and re-reading and re-reading those same ads for the rest of the day. Hey I have golf and baseball and she fights crowds to get bargains on the day after Thanksgiving.

I'm thankful for my boys and the excitement they bring day after day. I'm thankful that they are happy, healthy, and mostly obedient.

I'm thankful for my brothers, sisters, and parents. All of whom will take potshots at how much I'm eating today.

Most of all I'm thankful that I cut happy hour short yesterday so that I can put forward the brave effort of eating and drinking myself to pain today.

Comments

John said…
I'm thankful that my buddy made the happy hour shot go down like water!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie