Johnny Get Your Gun

Man there isn't anything in the world that will get people in more of an uproar than threatening to take away their guns. Ted Nugent and the NRA will be all over your ass if you even mutter that there are so many guns on the streets that something needs to be done. There are people right now quaking in their boots because Obama may be against having semi-automatics in the neighborhoods.

Common sense, must once again prevail. I don't think it will, but here goes - when they asked Sarah Palin about the right to bare arms - she said, "You betcha', I always wear short-sleeves."

When they explained they were talking about guns she quickly took control telling them all about the caribou she took down.

Which is okay with me - I have a lot of good friends who swear by hunting as a sport. Have at it - I golf and that too seems senseless sometimes. You want to shoot something, clean it, and eat it, be my guest - seems like a macho thing to do. I'll get my fresh turkey from Wegman's.

And I believe in your right to have a gun - I honestly do. Just do me a favor and be responsible with it. When you get mad at your wife, neighbor, mailman - count to ten instead of shooting them. If you're drunk, keep the gun in the cabinet. If the kids are around, make sure the cabinet is locked.

Hot off the press today is the story of an 8-year old who killed his father and his father's friend. 8 years old!!!! I have an 8-year old who occasionally puts his shirt on backwards. He can't open a Gatorade bottle without help.

Tonight three or four people will shoot each other in every city in the country. In a few weeks we'll hear a story about a guy putting one through his buddy in the woods. "Son-of-a-bitch looked just like a deer."

I suppose my father cured me of ever wanting to own a gun - when I was about eight years old. He went hunting with my grandfather, shot a deer, and hung the deer in the garage. I opened the door and looked right into the eyes of the hanging deer. I remember crying - and when I close my eyes 36 years later, I can still see that poor deer. I'm getting a little weepy even now.

Yet Obama won't take away gun rights. That's just a fear tactic of people who didn't want you to vote for him. The constitution gives us the right to own a gun for our safety - just be responsible - guns do kill people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie