Running Out of Water

Maybe it's the icy cold air, or the steel grey skies, or the fact that it seems to be daylight for only about 6 minutes. Perhaps it's hearing a sad story of a life ending way too early, but I have been battling the blues a little over the last couple of days. Not that it affects me all that much, but any little statement can drive me down. I sort of revel in being stuck in the darkness on the edge of town, so know that I'm okay - it makes me write more.

In any regard, I read a report today that said that there will be a major problem with drinking water by the year 2080, and it made me sad. Not because I will be here and be thirsty - I'd be 115 as the calender flips to that year and I did way too much damage to my body to possibly be kicking by then - but I felt bad because I won't be here!

Perhaps its about hearing about a date in the way too far future that makes you feel your own mortality, but damn, I was wiped out today knowing that somewhere off in the distance is the death of you and me. Scary and strange thoughts. Of course I thought of my children and hopefully they will all still be battling by then - I know it will be a problem for their grandchildren for sure.

Yet it's the fact that we are merely a blip on the screen in the history of all mankind that sort of brings me down. Give me until 116 - I'll do it! Tired and all. Sore back and all. I don't want to leave until I'm completely satisfied and given the appetite of my first 44 years, it may take me another 72 to get there.

So how do we fend off the depression that can be fueled by knowing this won't last forever? I suppose that the most comforting of thoughts is brought to us by our own beliefs - there better be eternal life out there, right? There better be rewards for doing the right thing here on earth! There better be a place where beer runs from an eternal tap, and pizza with everything is available at each and every turn. We better get to visit with every dog who left us behind, and our loved one's better be waiting at the gate.

At the very least, there better be a drinking fountain that provides cool, clear, constant tap water.

By 2080, I'll probably need to get to that tap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty