It's All Bad News

There are currently ten million people out of work. General Motors is on the verge of pulling the plug, California is burning, and some nutcase killed herself in front of Paula Abdul's house because she didn't make it on American Idol.

Recently the battle brewing around our house centers on the cartoon South Park - The boys are not allowed to watch it and they're not happy. The other night, Jake, trying to understand, wondered why he was allowed to watch other shows that are on when he is just as liable to hear garbage talk on them.

Matt and Jake must leave the room when 48 Hours Mystery and CSI are on also - there is just too much information for the kids out there.

"What about the news?" he asked. "All they talk about on there is people being murdered or getting arrested."

"You probably shouldn't watch that, either," I said.

"Even when I go on the Internet there are bad stories," Jake argued.

"You shouldn't read those either."

"What else is there?" he answered. "It's all bad news."

I suppose that he's right. I imagine that there is way too much information for young kids that is also readily available to them. From curse words in music to cartoons that border on obnoxious, to video games with prostitution in them, it's a full-time job to monitor the information. We aren't shoving re-showings of Balto down their throats, but recently we've tried to work harder to shield them.

"They say the world's going to end in 2012," Jake tried. "I read that on the Internet, why can't we have a good time now?"

"Because we said so," I finally answered, feeling a lot like my own parents.

And the conversation was over - whether its all bad news or not, because I said so still works.

Comments

John said…
"Because I said so" is the best thing a parent can say to their child. Sadly, it is the least often used. Good work Cliff and Kathy!
Rosie said…
here's an idea...turn the TV off.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie