I'm a Republican

The kids came home from school today excited by the fact that school is closed tomorrow due to the elections. Even more exciting was the fact that today they had the chance to vote.

"How'd it go?" I asked Sam.
"4 votes for McCain, and 11 votes for Obama," he said.
"And Jake?"
"We don't have a lot of Democrats," Jake said. "McCain won by three. My class is full of Republicans."
"Are you a Democrat or a Republican?" I asked.
"I have no idea."

Yet the neighbor kid was over just a little while later.
"I voted for McCain," he said proudly, "because I'm a Republican."
"What's a Republican?" I asked.
"I have no idea," he said. "I just hate Obama."

So, there we have it. Children from the ages of 8 thru 11 have spoken. It's a dead heat. The 8-year-olds are for Obama and the 11-year-olds are for McCain. Given the fact that there are more 8-year olds than 11 year olds, Obama wins a squeaker.

Yet, what have we learned?

Most of those polled don't have an idea what the difference is between a Republican and a Democrat.

Those who clearly are able to identify themselves as one or another, have no idea why.

There's hatred for one or the other of the candidates, and the schools are setting up the division early so that as they grow to be adults they will have a limited understanding of why they fall into one category or another.

It's great that the children are learning the process.

Perhaps its time to send some of the adults back to school on it.

Comments

deafjeff said…
Go ask their parents the same questions. Most likely get the same answers. How many more days till Mrs. Bush gets her boy home? I'm going to join you in the prediction business. Obama wins 291-157, but the popular vote is 52,234,129 to 51,987,456. How's that? Oh the Bills are going to get spanked this week.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty