Election Free Post

I'm burnt out on the political talk. It's over for now and then the real fight begins.

So what to do now?

The Yanks are going to open the wallet in the next thirty days so I'm sure that will capture my interest.

Who knows if the Bills or Sabres will keep us interested around Buffalo.

I'm about to lose my wife as a conversationalist as for the next 40 days or so as daily, we're going to discuss the bargains she found to fill the ever-expanding Christmas wish list.

Jake just got braces and today is the seven year anniversary of his very successful surgery. It got me thinking.

What did I learn in 7 years?

First and foremost its about the people around me, stupid. For years I chased my own tail, writing the next story, earning the next dollar, waiting for the next Yankee banner, or the next Bruce concert.

Instead, I have spent time enjoying the journey. Listen to this - I actually feel invigorated finishing the laundry, or picking up the dog poop in the backyard. I love watching bad comedies with the boys, and calling out their names with stupid little rhymes. I particularly enjoy waking everyone up in the morning and taunting them with thoughts of the school day ahead.

I've also learned to fear what might happen, but certainly keep an eye on things that might cause harm to the one's I love. A respectful fear is good, I suppose, and there's a realization that life can turn on a dime.

Getting braces? Not a big deal.
A 40 on a French test? We'll get through it.
An 8-year-old that talks non-stop? Awesome.
Matt rooting for last place teams? Enjoy life.

A lot of rough things happen to a lot of people over the course of 7 years. Sitting back, in the land of opportunity, the day after a free election, I'm feeling pretty lucky. I certainly have moments when the old worries sneak in, but I'm making progress.

"It's raining, but there ain't a cloud in the sky."

Comments

CorLeone said…
Happy Anniversary Jake

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie