The Odd Couple

On November 13th Felix Unger was asked to remove himself from his place of residence. That request came from his wife.

Every November 13th I think of that line and it's not because the Odd Couple was one of my favorite all-time shows - its also because I could feel the pain caused by being asked to remove yourself from your place of residence.

Lately there have been a ton of husband killing estranged wife murders in the news. There was an absolutely tragic story here in Niagara Falls of a man shooting his wife, holing himself up in a hotel room and two days later shooting himself.

Man - how does it get to that?

In the Odd Couple Felix was always proclaiming his love for his estranged wife. The conversations with Oscar usually centered around what he needed to do to become a better person so that Gloria would take him back. In the back of my mind, I knew that they belonged together and at the end of the long run, it happened for them, didn't it?

The inability of people to see the big picture is usually what dooms these couples, I suppose. It seems that the money gets tight, there is usually a history of drug or alcohol abuse and the request to remove oneself from the place of residence isn't quite as cute as the opening of the Odd Couple made it out to be.

Yet I do have advice for the estranged husband or wife - do what Felix does - get the hell out - find a friend like Oscar and play poker with Murray and the boys. Have a few beers, collect your thoughts, and do your best to make a graceful exit - that way you can end up on a comedy as fun as the Odd Couple and not on 48 Hours Mystery.

So another November 13th seems likely to pass without event in my life - my wife is not planning to ask me to leave my place of residence - which is great news all the way around.

Comments

John said…
If she ever boots your ass you can stay over here. Plenty of beer, and poker can be arranged. Just don't start cleaning the place and doing laundry.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie