Easy Like Sunday Morning

Basically I have not left my house in about four weekends. I'd say I'm going stir-crazy, but I'm not sure what it is I should be doing. I've been on the road a bit during the work week and the thought of getting in the car and going somewhere is absolutely numbing. So, here I sit.

Yet there is always Sunday morning to look forward to. When I was a kid the scent of the onions garlic and olive oil always got me up and out of bed. There was usually a discussion of which Mass we'd be attending, and I took a long time reading the sports page.

This morning, I started the sauce, and read the paper. Sam was the first out of bed looking for the Las Vegas lines so he could pick the football games in a competition against Matt. It's a tradition handed down from my brother and I and it makes me laugh because I'm living with an 8-year-old bookie.

"How is San Diego giving up 2 and a half?" he asked me this morning. "They're just trying to make me pick the Colts. I think it's a sucker bet."

I stirred the sauce and laughed.

"I think I'll take the Chiefs today," he said. "The Bills have lost four in a row and their cornerbacks are injured. That sauce smells good."

I wonder if my father was ever stir-crazy as he prepared the sauce and spoke of homework, church, and whatever game was on that day.

"So, what do you want to do today?" I asked.

"Stay home," Sam said. "Are you kidding? Where would we go? The games are on and you're already making dinner."

So, here we are. Don't bother calling the cell phone - the house phone will work just fine - just remember that the office closes down after pasta. I feel the need for a nap coming on.

"The Bills are going to win today," Sam said after some deep thought.

There you have it - straight from the bookie's mouth. He thinks they'll cover the spread too, and he says bet the over.

Comments

John said…
Looks like my money is going with Sam from now on! Bills win big, cover the spread and the overs!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie