This March is Better

Spent a little time thinking about how lost we all were last March.

The tourney had been cancelled. Baseball season was getting postponed and we were all kinda’ lost because we were facing long days of staying away from everyone.

Yesterday was the exact opposite of that. The basketball games were on our televisions all day long.

I made a turkey dinner to finish up Kathy’s birthday celebration and I also bit the bullet.

Bought a new driver for the round of golf we are scheduled to play this afternoon.

Was kind of funny.

I brought my beloved driver in and showed it to the really young kid behind the counter. He gasped when I asked him if I could find a match to it.

“They don’t make them like that anymore,” he said.

It dawned on me that my driver might be older than the kid.

“I think I got this in ‘02,” I said. “When were you born?”

“‘01,” he said, with a laugh. “Just after 9/11.”

He was born after 9/11!!!

I laughed.

He taped up a couple of drivers for me and I stepped into the simulator. I topped the first two and the reading said that they would have traveled about 80 yards. I looked at the kid.

“The new drivers are an inch longer than the one you were hitting.”

So, I adjusted, and hit a full bucket of balls.

“Do you always hit it straight like that?”

I laughed again. He should ask my golf partners. They hate me for it.

He told me the price and I nodded.

“I feel like I’m cheating on my loyal, dedicated, loving club,” I said.

“They don’t actually have feelings,” he replied.

I laughed again.

I don’t think I laughed 3 times last March.

“I’ll be back,” I said. “Can you regrip a club for me?”

“Of course,” he said. I don’t think he thought I would return.

But I did.

Handed Chippy to him.

Chippy has feelings!

For the first time since I got Chippy back in 1981, Chippy has a grip. I told the kid that.

“1981?” He asked, as if I were speaking about pre-historic days. “That’s a long time ago.”

“Seems like it was ten minutes ago,” I answered. 

I left the shop happy. Ate a couple pounds of turkey and stuffing. Watched hoops. Did a baseball draft for the upcoming year.

And laughed.

This March is way better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie