Elgin & The Lakers

I was such a huge Los Angeles Lakers fan as my early sport life began.

All because of Wilt, but also because of Jerry West, Happy Hairston and Elgin Baylor.

Elgin was on the 1969-1970 team that lost to the New York Knicks in 7 games.

I distinctly recall, at 5 years of age, seeing that final score flashing on the screen:

New York 113 Los Angeles 99

That was the Willis Reed game. He had a torn ACL but he took the court for the start of the game. He fired up the crowd and Clyde Frazier, who went off.

I later learned to like that Knicks team, but that day I cried.

Elgin had retired when the Lakers won the championship and ran off 33 straight games so he didn’t get the chance to see me at the Aud where I sat with John & Dad as the Lakers pummeled the Braves.

That was the night I saw Wilt from less than 15’ away.

I still think of it now and again. Dad had scrimped and saved to buy us the best tickets in the house.

I recently found the ticket stub:

Our seats were $2.50 apiece.

Seriously!

When the Lakers won the 1971-1972 championship the guy who took Elgin’s place was Jim McMillian who came to the Braves a couple of years later.

I only mention that because I felt badly for Elgin. He was great and he didn’t get to play on the title team.

Baylor died yesterday at the age of 86.

That’s hard to believe too!

I remember watching a guy who was nearly 90 once play ball.

I’m old!

For anyone else who remembers, Elgin was a great player.

Hall of Famer.

Wish he would’ve won in 1970!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie