Mighty Bored

 I have a regular speaking gig for a company east of Syracuse - been talking to them since about 1997.

Have known the owner for longer than that, but it’s a little weird to look out at the same faces every year and see all the wrinkles and the grey.

Stopped by the table to chat up a guy who’s been with the company since the 80’s.

“Last year for me,” he said. “I’m 64. All done after this season.”

“Damn! Already? That went by quick for me.”

He laughed.

“I would’ve quit after least year, but the damn pandemic showed me that I’m gonna’ be mighty bored for the next stretch.”

He told me his story. His wife is disabled and worries a lot.

“If I leave the house to go to the grocery store I have to text her when I get there and when I’m leaving. Texted her when I arrived here.”

“She just loves you,” I said.

“I got her a dog. A little thing. She is learning to love him more than me. That’s good. I might get him a phone so she can text him.”

I laughed.

“I was 40 when you started coming around. You’re still entertaining.”

“Was a fast 24 years,” I said.

“Sure was, and despite the fact that I don’t need the money now, I’m going to work because the next 24 months are gonna pass like 30 years.”

“You’ll be all right,” I said. “You’ll find a routine.”

He laughed.

“When I think about retiring I think mostly about missing out on all the ball-busting that goes on in construction. I won’t be part of the team anymore. When all is said and done, that was the best part.”

“Well, if it’s ball busting you like, you’ll enjoy this year’s safety presentation.”

He laughed.

During the course of the talk, we all laughed a little.

I stopped by his table on the way out.

“If this is the last season, make it a good one,” I said.

“Ah hell, I’ll probably be back again.”

And that’s kinda’ weird. We work our lives thinking about the day when we can retire and relax...

...and when it’s time...

...we wanna’ stay.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie