Snow & Greens

There were golf balls gathered on top of the ice on the pond.

Just sitting there. 

The grass was brown and there was a snow bank on the tee box at five so the hole was moved up, but man, the place was packed!

March 21 and we played golf in short pants and tee-shirts.

The new driver was concerning because I’m a mental midget when it comes to change and I hit the first drive about 75 yards.

On hole 2 I figured it out and overall, it went pretty well. I hit some very good drives and actually shot par on 3 of the first 6 holes.

Wasn’t about the score though. We didn’t care. I didn’t even write them down.

Just hit it and feel the air.

It wasn’t all perfect though...

...we had an older couple ahead of us.

Husband and wife?

They were good and slow and we were all about getting some air, but how is golf fun when you’re taking 18 shots per hole?

“That poor lady has to be exhausted,” I said as she swung her club for the 7th time on a long par five.

There is no way she got less than a 20 on that hole.

But it wasn’t only us who were affected. The guys behind us pulled up to greet us on 10.

“Did they leave?” They asked.

“Nope. That’s them up there about 40 yards ahead.”

And, of course they have as much right to play as anyone else, but I kept going back to:

“Is that fun?”

No one is winning any rewards but to shoot 175?

Ah well.

‘Twas a great day.

“How’s the new club?” Kathy asked as soon as I returned.

“It’s gonna’ work. Glad I got out at least once. Now I won’t have to worry for a month about it.”

“You will anyway.”

Maybe.

Mostly I’ll imagine the conversation between the two golfers who slowed us way down.

I think about them congratulating one another on their many fine shots.

“You had 14 really good shots on the 6th hole!”

“Why thank you, Dear. Your 11 chips weren’t so bad yourself, mister.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie