Seasons Change

We made the leap by setting a tee time for 9:42 on Saturday morning.

Yet, as I drove to the golf course where I learned how to play back about 40 years ago, I was feeling a little nostalgic.

Maybe having The Rolling Stones record, ‘Emotional Rescue’ on had something to do with it.

That record came out 40 years ago. (It’s still really great).

I passed a spot on 75 where I thought about an old friend who lost her battle with cancer this week. Janine and I dated for awhile back about 30 years ago, and we had fun going to hockey games and drinking margaritas. We were part of a large group of friends.

I thought of her because her tragic death has been on my mind all week (she was a great person and a very skilled nurse) but I also thought of her because we were driving on 75 in a snow and ice storm and I hit black ice...

...on a hill and a narrow stretch of road. I was going 50 mph at the time and black ice is a hopeless situation.

It was all I could do to keep the car on the road...but as quickly as we went into the spin...we came out of it. When the car was under control, I pulled to the side of the road, and took a deep breath.

The last time I chatted with Janine, she mentioned it.

“We could have died!” She wrote. “I don’t have any idea how we didn’t crash.”

That night and the conversation hit me hard as I drove to the course. She lost her life and her time was way too damn short.

A blink of an eye from the day I opened the new Stones record back in 1979 to 2020 and a trip down memory lane.

Lately I’ve been talking to some old friends that I haven’t seen in a long, long time. We do the ‘Glory Days’ dance but we also do a little talking about how things have played out.

Seasons change.

The seasons of our lives whiz on by.

I’m sorry that I can’t say goodbye to a long time friend because there is no wake. This pandemic makes life seem impossible at times.

But I placed my ball on the tee at the first hole. There’s a pond that must be cleared to get to the fairway. When I was a kid, I put a lot of balls in that drink.

I got better.

I didn’t even consider that I might hit the ball in the water. I didn’t either. A solid ball, down the middle.

I was playing with a couple of longtime buddies too so I spent my time going around that course thinking of days gone by.

They’re the same friends that they were back then. Good, solid guys. A little grey, a little bigger.

All happy to still be here.

I put Mick & Keith on again as I pulled away.

I played good enough. Stayed 6-feet clear of everyone.

Just thankful.

Still here.

Sad for those we lost along the way.

May Janine Rest In Peace.

She’ll be missed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie