Healthcare Superheroes

When Jake needed help back in 2001 he was blessed to be treated by some of the best nurses and doctors in the country.

I spent a lot of hours writing my book, ‘House of Miracles’ in an effort to thank them for their efforts.

My wife, was also amazed by the strength and compassion of all who helped our son, so much so that she decided to study to become a nurse.

For the last decade I’ve been amazed at her dedication to the job. I’ve watched her shed a number of tears for patients who were lost.

I heard her recap of days that are too long, too tragic and so messed up.

No breaks. No drinks on the floor. Holding your own pee until your ready to burst because you’re trying to help too many people with too few people.

For too little pay.

And I’m not going to lie here...

...I tuned out a lot of hours where she was venting about being short-staffed or worn out. Every single time I mentioned that she should take a day off...

...she would dismiss my thoughts.

She had to get up at 4 a.m. and work a ten-hour shift because her patients needed her.

The surgeons who saved Jake all put in long hours and performed their work in brilliance.

Jake’s nurses cried with us...

...and celebrated wildly when we were walking out the doors with our healthy boy.

So, I know.

I know what those workers are made of.

I understand that they would never steal masks for anything other than to protect themselves or their patients.

I can completely comprehend the grit and determination that makes them stand on their feet for hours and hours and hours...

...so they can send someone back home...

...healthy again.

My beautiful niece is also a nurse.

These days, they are gathered in hospitals all across the land, doing every damn thing possible to save lives.

They are putting their own lives on the line!

And it’s not just doctors and nurses. It’s entire staffs of people from those who clean the floors all the way up to the head surgeon.

They may as well be wearing capes.

I’ll end this little tribute with a question that I asked Jake’s surgeon.

I said:

“Every day you work with patients and you’re faced with life and death tasks. You save lives, and no one knows who you are!”

The surgeon smiled as he anticipated my question.

“The long-snapper of the Bills would draw a crowd walking through this lobby and he makes more money than you? Does that ever bother you?”

“No, not at all,” the good doctor said. “I didn’t get into this line of work for accolades from the public. My reward is a lot bigger than that because I get to help people, one family at a time. I make a lot more than money. I see the gratitude. I feel the appreciation, and that’s what gets me out of bed every day.”

I was writing it down as fast as I could.

“Oh,” Doc said. “Don’t use that. I don’t need attention for what I do. Just put in there that I’m grateful for the chance to help others. That’s enough.”

Let’s here it for the superheroes!

We owe them.

Because they’re amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie