A Drink On Me

Niagara Falls is a truly depressing place.

Sure there is one of the 7 natural wonders of the world there, but the downtown area and the residential areas not far from there...

...well, it’s depressing.

Yesterday I had to visit a job in a pretty rough looking neighborhood.

I parked my car, and made sure that I locked the doors. As I put on my mask, I noticed a very skinny, extremely dirty, black man eyeing me up.

He was sitting on a broken down porch, in a busted chair in front of a deteriorating home.

I walked by even though I heard him say:

“Hey!”

I went into the job which was just a couple of doors down and spent a good half hour walking around.

As I was leaving, I thought about the black guy.

I made a decision before he even asked the question.

He saw me coming, and he stood up slowly.

I put two one-dollar bills down on the floor of the porch as I walked by.

“I wanted to ask you if you had a dollar,” he said. “God Bless you.”

I had set the two singles down without touching anything and not getting within 15’ of the man.

I was just about to my car when he made it to the money and the edge of his porch. He picked up the $2.

“Thank you! Thank you!!” He called out. Then he added:

“Let me give you a hug!”

“No,” I yelled through my mask. “You can’t touch anyone because of the virus.”

The guy was standing there, lost. He was totally confused.

“There’s a virus?” He asked. “Is it bad?”

I heard the hurt in his voice. I had a hand on the door handle. He was a long ways away, but he needed an answer.

“Are people dying?” He asked.

“It’s pretty bad,” I said.

He looked down. Shook his head from side-to-side.

“I don’t wanna’ hear that,” he said. “Is it like AIDS?”

“Kind of,” I said.

He was downright despondent.

“I’m sorry to hear about the virus,” he said. “I already got the AIDS.”

I picked that point to escape to the interior of my car.

He came down off the porch then and headed towards Main Street. I was waiting at the light when he limped on by. He raised one hand in a salute...

...then headed into the liquor store on the corner.

God Bless.

I bought him a drink.

And I’m good with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie