Work, Work, Work

Through the years I’ve spent a lot of time on the Cornell University campus.

It’s a beautiful place, but don’t think you can park your car there illegally. I’ve paid at least 4 parking tickets there.

I was there on Thursday, and I parked a ways away and walked to the job. I paid the $3.00 for parking for an hour. Beats a $40 ticket.

I crossed over the Triphammer Gorge and paused a second to look at how beautiful it is. Except the fence around it is now huge, and there are also nets below it that extend out quite a bit.

“Had some jumpers,” a woman who saw me looking at the nets said.

That’s pretty sad.

I took up the conversation with the crane operator.

“These kids are all brilliant,” he said. “They come here on scholarship and then the workload is too much. That’s too much pressure on a 19-year-old.

I thought of my kids at Camp Clifford.

We’ve never put too much pressure on them.

I called home.

They weren’t there!

Sam was at work!! Jake was at his job interview.

I got home about 4 hours later. Sam still wasn’t home. He walked in tired.

“How was work?” I asked.

“I’m tired. I’m hungry, and I just wanna’ sit down,” he said.

“Oh really? You don’t want to wait on someone hand and foot and clean the house?” Kathy asked.

Sam wanted to talk about his co-workers.

“No work stories!” Kathy said.

“So, how many hours have you worked now?” I asked.

“Ten,” he said. “But I’m scheduled for 16 more.”

“What do you think?” I asked.

“I’ve about had enough.”

We all laughed.

Welcome to the working world.

I thought back to the kids who ended their lives at a beautiful Ivy League school. Kids just shouldn’t feel such pressure...

...and the deck is stacked against them these days.

College?

Want to start life a hundred grand in debt?

Working?

“Here’s $8.00 an hour.”

So, it appears that Camp Clifford is nearing a close early this year, but I have a feeling that there will still be some leisurely days and nights.

“I’m off tomorrow,” Sam announced. “Thank God!”

“Oh yeah, two straight days. You must be worn out.”

“Like you wouldn’t believe.”

“Sleep in,” I said.

“Say no more,” he answered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie