I’d Rather Do Life

Miami Steve, Little Steven, Silvio...

...Steve Van Zandt of the E-Street Band and The Sopranos was asked about his buddy and former band mate Clarence Clemons on the anniversary of the Big Man’s death.

“I don’t do death dates,” he answered. “I’d rather do life. I don’t want to acknowledge the day when someone died. I celebrate their birthday.”

I liked that.

I tried to think of that, knowing that Dad’s day was coming up.

“Not even going to consider it,” I thought.

Two nights I dreamed about him...

...woke up tired and aggravated.

Sometimes when I get a visit in my dreams I feel good about it the next day, but I wasn’t in the mood, evidently because every time it entered my mind, I thought about talking to Dad.

He’d be pissed about the Yankees recent struggles.

He’d be really irritated with a certain politician or two.

He’d be calling me every other day or so to tell me what he’d made for dinner.

All stuff I enjoyed hearing about.

Yet, I kept thinking about Miami Steve’s advice:

“Don’t acknowledge a day you didn’t enjoy!”

It was before 7:00 when Corinne sent a text to all of us...

...an upbeat, positive one.

And I thought some more.

The last Father’s Day went Dad held us up in the driveway so he could give me an extra present:

A can on anchovies.

We were the only two who really loved anchovies.

It was raining pretty hard on Tuesday morning.

I didn’t feel much like working, but he’s the guy who taught all of us to get up and get after it.

“Bust your ass, every day.”

So, I went to work.

My mood never did get much of a lift all day long.

I think Little Steven has the right idea, but it’s not easy to do.

Eventually, I did think about the laughter, the days filled with food and fun and family.

Had a few anchovies too.

What else can you do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie