And Down the Stretch they Come

Had a conversation with a Red Sux fan over the weekend.

(Yeah, he’s a dopey bastard).

“Yankees won,” I said. “Red Sux lost.”

“Boston has a 9-game lead,” he said.

“Oh, are you talking about the past?” I answered.

“I don’t want to talk about the past,” he said.

And the Yankees are having a tremendous season. They will, most likely, win over 100 games. That’s not a level they reached more than once when they won all those World Series.

But Boston is on pace for 110 so there’s a real temptation to try and write the Yankees off.

They have the 2nd best record in the game and they’ve done it on the backs of a couple of their own rookies.

They can certainly win the series this year.

Yet, what drives me nuts are the injuries. It’s a long season and I don’t want people trying to play injured, but man!

A guy belches and the Yankees send him for an MRI.

“He’s getting close to 100 pitches.”

That drives me nuts too.

I once saw Guidry lose a game in the bottom of the 9th in Oakland. It was a 1-1 game, Guidry had only given up a HR to Dave Kingman. He was well over 130 pitches when he gave up the game-winning walk-off to Kingman again.

We may never see another pitcher throw 130 again as they’re babied too.

And pitchers still get hurt, even with all the babying.

And then there’s CC. He has a really bad knee, and he’s still a horse. He eats a ton of innings.

So, I have to listen to it for now, but I did remind him that Boston won the division last year and didn’t win a playoff game.

“That’s not happening,” he said. “They’re going to win it all.”

“Oh, so no talking about the past, but you can talk about the future.”

“The present!” He said.

“Well, presently, the Yankees won and the Suck Sux lost.”

He laughed.

“You’re relentless,” he said.

Yep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie