Manhunt!!!

Pretty scary evening.

The Yankees game was just starting when Jake mentioned helicopters outside our home.

“There’s been a murder around here,” Jake said, a moment later. “They’re looking for 4 guys who escaped in a car that broke down on Lake Avenue.”

“What?”

I immediately flashed back to when I was a kid. A man had shot an Erie County Sheriff in our little hometown. The cop who died that day was a friend of my parents. He lived right up the road.

I headed to the basement. As usual, our front door was unlocked. On top of that, it was open.

The social media took over.

I got a few texts and a couple of calls. I had a son to get home. Sam was playing hoops in a park in the neighborhood.

I texted him.

“We saw a dude with an AK walking down our street when we left,” he wrote.

“A good guy or bad guy?” I asked.

“I didn’t ask.”

We got the boys in the house.

And a thought occurred to me.

“What could I even do?”

Heavily armed men moving through the neighborhood.

I looked out the back window and watched the copters make their passes over the wooded area 500’ behind our home.

I saw an officer at the edge of the woods. He was also heavily armed. I felt better. I went out the front door and noticed that my neighbors were gathered at the end of their driveway.

“This is crazy,” I called out.

“Crazy?” A young kid answered. “I think it’s awesome.”

Four men on the loose after being involved in a shooting with at least two victims is...

...awesome???

I once heard it said that if we were serious about stomping out violence in this country we probably should not enjoy it so much.

And I felt a sinking feeling.

It happens everywhere!

What would make us immune?

The news was sketchy and all the town kept saying was stay in your home and don’t answer the door.

Really?

Good information right there!

I don’t even open the door when I know the person who’s knocking.

The boys were nervous.

I was nervous.

And by bedtime the info was still pretty scant.

What a world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie