Kansas

It’s really weird to get out of bed before 4 a.m. and take the dogs for a ride before getting on a plane, and some 5 hours later, walking on a site in Shawnee, Kansas.

“You ever have real burnt ends?” The supervisor asked me.

“I’ve had burnt ends,” I said.

“Not the real ones though.”

He explained the beauty of real burnt ends and then took me to a hole in the wall place called Roscoes.

It was a small sandwich. As I was eating it I mentioned that I could eat 4 more.

What’s wild about this part of the country is that when there’s a storm, it’s a real beauty. I stepped into the parking lot and the lightning lit up the sky.

Yeah, I thought of Dorothy, and the possibility of a tornado.

“It’s fun to watch the storms,” one of the guys said.

“You guys need to get a life,” I answered.

But I must admit that I opened the shade and watched the storm arrive. I know it’s the same sky, but it’s always seemed bigger to me out here.

And what’s funny is that I walked into the trailer and knew everyone there.

Blows my mind that I know people in Kansas.

The storm was heavy.

Hail, unbelievable thunder and the lightning that lit up the entire sky.

“The storm is just passing through, shouldn’t be much to worry about,” the newscaster said.

“Really.”

It was a short visit.

I ate good.

Slept good.

Had a productive visit.

Kansas.

Who woulda’ thunk?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie