Could It Be?

“The rookie quarterback looks good!”

Someone sent me that text on Friday night.

Moments later, Jake came out, checked the Yankees-Blue Jays score on the television and said:

“Are you watching the Bills out here?”

“Does it look like I am?”

“I mean, are we watching the second half?”

“Do you want to watch the Bills on the big television?” I asked.

“Only if you do,” he laughed.

“I want to watch Josh Allen.”

Josh Allen is the rookie quarterback. He’s the latest in the line of quarterbacks who are the hope for a crazed fan base.

All indications are that he played well...

...I went to the smaller television in another room to catch the rest of the Yankees game.

The newspaper writers were thrilled. Facebook was alive with hope.

“Kid is going to be a superstar!” Someone wrote.

I was in a feisty mood.

“He’s the second coming of Losman.”

That’s the best way to fire up the hungry base.

Three sentences later I was being lambasted.

I’m hoping the kid is actually good. Maybe he will actually throw the ball down the field. Perhaps the O line won’t get him killed.

Earlier in the week, Jake and Sam made their appearance at dinner.

“Who’s the starter on week one?” I asked.

“McCarron,” Sam said.

“Peterman,” Jake countered.

“What about the kid?” I asked.

Neither kid wanted to chance it yet.

“What do you think?” Jake asked.

“The most popular player on every team is the backup QB,” I said. “No matter who they go with there will be someone wanting the other guy. He’ll start soon.”

In the meantime, the kid has a ton of support.

I’ll check in around November 1.

Gotta’ finish the baseball season first.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie