Feelin’ Groovy

“Slow down, you move too fast. Gotta’ let the moment last.”

The old Simon & Garfunkel song entered my mind on Tuesday afternoon.

I had a fairly busy day and we were going to make it a quick dinner. Cheeseburgers with chips and dip. We didn’t have any dip though.

So, I was heading down Lake Avenue slowly...

...very slowly.

The man driving the Lincoln Town Car in front of me was going painfully slow. Even though it was a posted 30 mph he was going (from my read) 18.

“Come on, dude!” I yelled.

It didn’t help.

We made it to the stop sign. There was a car stopped on the cross street. He looked at the guy in the Towne car and waved Towne car on.

Guy in the Towne car waved back to let the other guy go first.

Neither car moved.

“Someone has to go!”

Finally the other guy went, and then Towne car got rolling. I was almost to the 7/11.

At the last second, Towne car hit his turn signal. He was going to the 7/11 too!

I didn’t wait.

I cut to the left of him and beat the Towne car to the entrance.

“Hello lamppost watcha’ knowin.’”

I was in a rush!

I headed into the store. Got the bag of chips and the dip before the guy in the Towne car even made it to the door.

He was old.

Really old.

We met at the door. I opened it, and he stood to one side.

“You go first,” he said. “I don’t move so quickly now.”

“Me neither,” I mentioned.

“I should slow down,” he said. “I’m 94.”

“You look good,” I said.

He wasn’t moving out of the way, but I didn’t much care anymore. I held the door open for him.

“Almost 94,” he said. “I gotta’ make it another month.”

“You look good,” I said.

I was feeling like a bit of an ass.

He started moving into the store as I finally headed out.

“I used to be really fast,” he said. “Thank You for holding the door.”

I watched him for a minute as he struggled down the first aisle.

I’m hoping someone holds the door for me in 40 years.

“Slow down, you move too fast.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie