August

Pretty hard to beat August as a month.

Sun shines a lot.

Back in the school years, we knew that we were still free for awhile, and the graduation parties are done...

...just relax.

Of course, there are always people who start the month by saying:

“I can’t believe it’s August.”

“Well, yesterday was July 31st...so.”

The Yankees are starting a big series against the Red Sux tonight, and the damn Boston fans have reminded me about the deficit the Yanks are facing, but August started with a dig about it and I was ready:

“1978,” I texted back. “Yankees were double digit games behind and they headed to Boston for a crucial series. 4-Game sweep. They still call it the Boston Massacre.”

Now I’m not sure that it’s going to go that way this year. The Yankees are pretty banged up and have been playing a tad mediocre for awhile.

Still.

It’s August!

Trade deadline is behind us...

...the final stretch.

I can’t say that I’m going to enjoy the next four games though...

...I get a little irritated.

But let’s kick it back 40 years.

Mickey Rivers stealing bases, Catfish and Goose, Reggie hitting homers and Thurman with his scowl.

Dad got caught up in the excitement back then and since every game wasn’t on television in our small town back then, he loaded me and my brothers into the car and we headed to my Uncle Mike’s house in Hamburg.

He had cable!

The Yankees rewarded our effort.

And we all know how that worked out.

A one-game playoff in October.

Bucky-F****ng Dent with a legendary homer. Reggie with the actual game-winner.

World Series number 22.

Feeling good about August now.

It makes great Octobers.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie