June 26, 1987

My old buddy Al bought some baseball tickets for a Red Sox game at Fenway. He mentioned that he wanted to get Yankees-Red Sux tickets, but that they were a little pricey.

“Yankees-Red Sux would be fun though,” I said.’

“Remember when he went to the Yankees game after college?” He asked. “Who’d they play?”

It was like he flipped a switch.

Suddenly I remembered it!

My first trip to Yankee Stadium.

Three innings in the score was:

Red Sox 9 Yankees 0.

Tommy John got shelled. Roger Clemens was on the mound for Boston. He’d won the Cy Young and the MVP in 1986 (Mattingly deserved it).

I was screaming!

In the bottom of the 3rd...

...the Yankees scored 11 times.

Clemens got booed off the mound and he tipped his cap as we all yelled:

“Clemens sucks!”

Game wasn’t over though.

Boston got 2 in the top of the 4th and it stayed 11-11 until the bottom of the 10th.

There’s sad news.

When Wayne Tolleson (the pathetic Yankees shortstop) hit a 12-hopper through the infield for the walk-off before there was such a thing as walk-offs...

...Al and I were on the subway heading back to where we were staying.

Truth be told, we’d never taken the subway before and we were scared.

Well, I was!

The one thing I remember about that subway ride was the man who looked exactly like Mr. T -gold chains and all - was asleep.

“Hey Hollywood!” Al said. “Push over!”

I laughed, but I was glad the guy didn’t wake up.

I checked the box score.

(Amazing what you can find on Google).

Jim Rice, Wade Boggs, Dwight Evans, Roger Clemens, Tommy John, Dave Winfield, and Don Mattingly all played in that game.

I was 22-years old.

The pages of the story of our lives was blank...

...anything could’ve happened from that moment on.

Long marriages for both of us. 5 kids total.

5 titles for the Yankees.

3 for the Suck Sux.

“We should go again,” Al said. “I’ll buy the tickets and the beer. You get the gas and parking.”

We probably paid $20 total for those tickets that day.

We’d have to split a pretzel for that now.

What a great memory.

Mattingly was the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie