At Her Own Game

On Wednesday night I realized that I had just one more day of work for the week. I needed to take a day and actually change things up.

I realized that the Yankees were off on Thursday.

“Maybe I’ll go to Bingo,” I joked.

“You’ll go? Really?” My beautiful wife asked, and I realized, instantly, that there was no going back.

I was going to Bingo.

During the work day I received a text.

“You excited for Bingo?”

“Haven’t thought about anything else,” I said, but truth be told, I wanted to go. I do the same thing each day that the dogs know exactly what time everything happens...

...to the minute.

We gathered our boards, and I certainly needed help figuring out what to do.

And off we went.

It took me a little while to get in the swing of marking everything before the freaking next number was called.

The poor caller said “N-34”

And then a second and a half later said, “Um, I’m sorry, N-44.”

I had already marked 2 ‘N-34’s’

“Ah, come on!” Some guy yelled out. “Get your head out of your ass,” another woman moaned.

Bingo people ain’t fooling around, and I can certainly see why. You need to be in a routine to mark everything, get a sip of water, smoke (we were in the smoking room and I don’t smoke), and get the bingo marks off your fingers (I used red...I look like a crime scene victim).

And no one is really happy for anyone who wins.

There’s an audible groan and murmuring when someone calls out Bingo.

“I need I-25,” I said, during the inner square game.

“Say it!” I begged.

“I-25,” she said.

“Bingo!”

There was another Bingo called which meant I’d be splitting $50, but during the read back of the first Bingo, it was determined that I-17 wasn’t actually called.

I won alone.

“Just beating you at your own game,” I said.

Kathy touched the money, but it didn’t work. Some lady named Rose had some luck though. She found the Queen of Hearts, which is the mother lode...

...she won nearly 4 grand.

Damn!

The last game was weird. It was a $500 cover all and it appeared that everyone lost interest. People were talking, the woman was calling like she was Double-parked.

“What the hell is going on?” I asked.

And it was over.

“It’s fun, right?” Kathy asked.

“I dominated,” I said. “Was more fun for Rose.”

One of my buddies texted me.

“I’m at Bingo,” I said.

“What the hell happened to you?” He answered.

Good question.

I own Bingo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie