Bet, Bet, Bet!

Fred Flintstone had a bad gambling habit in one episode. Barney Rubble (a terrific actor) had a hard time trying to stop Fred from making the bets.

It didn’t end well.

I immediately thought of that when I heard that sports betting is now legal...

...and that the impoverished sports leagues will get a cut.

What can go wrong????

I wouldn’t even think of betting on a single game.

I’ve played the college basketball brackets for years and I’ve always bought some squares for the Super Bowl, but it’s a little too stressful for me on a routine basis.

I recall years ago when I had the right numbers for the Raiders-Buccaneers super bowl.

Three grand was mine!

The Raiders has the ball but they were 75 yards away...and they were down to the last play.

Rich Gannon (my least favorite player ever) threw a pick and wouldn’t you know it, he didn’t even try to tackle the guy as he ran by.

Touchdown!

I had been in the process of writing checks against the money.

Disgusted.

And that’s my feeling on betting on sports.

They were kicking around the concept on the Michael Kay Show and he was saying that it may come down to you sitting at your seat at a stadium and being able to swipe your credit card to bet on what the batter might do.

He homers and you win.

He makes out and you lose.

Pitiful.

More money, right?

Taken out of the hides of the people who don’t have it, but dream of the big score, and it goes into the  banks of the people who do have it...

...but just want more!

It will lead to corruption and bad actors making cash off of the poor.

Why not, right?

There were those on the show arguing for it to happen.

“People just have to be responsible.”

Yeah.

That’ll work!

I stood behind a guy at a convenient store the other day. He was playing the daily numbers.

He played almost every possible combination known to man, as I waited for my turn. I was just trying to buy the newspaper.

After ten minutes of reciting numbers there was a break in the action. He handed over $100.

“I have more,” he announced, “but take care of this guy first.”

He was already calling out numbers of scratch-offs before I even made it to the door.

“Bet! Bet! Bet!”

Hoping Barney can keep Fred away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie