I Miss My Friends

I have a few buddies who, (gasp), hate the Yankees.

When the Yankees lose, they make sure that I’m aware of it.

I heard from each and every one of them when the Yanks took a 14-1 thumping early in the year. By mid-morning after that one I finally texted back:

“I don’t own the team!”

Well, I haven’t heard from any of those guys in awhile.

17 out of 18 wins will do that for you.

Of course, I have reminded them of each win and the climb to first. When Gardner ripped a triple off the Suck Sux closer on Wednesday night, I tried to reach a couple of my buddies...

...they must not have been near their phones.

And that Stadium was rocking.

I thought back, of course, to the days when the Yankees expected to win every game. I recalled telling a clerk at the convenient store:

“The Yankees are going to the World Series.”

She had answered:

“That only happens once a year.”

And what really makes me smile is that this team is not built with money.

The Yankees payroll is shrinking.

(It’s $75 million less than Boston)

“Evil Empire, my ass,” I texted after the Judge moon shot to center.

No one answered.

If you see my buddies please do me a favor.

Remind them that the 27-Time World Chanpion Greatest Franchise in the History of Organized American Sports are really good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie