Uh-Oh!


Paris loses her mind when one of us says:

Uh-Oh!!

The poor dog knows that something bad has happened and she jumps in your lap in an effort to calm things down for you.

The thing about bad things happening in this day and age is that we know about them before the dust even clears.

I received a notification with the above-photo on Friday.

A crane had toppled in New York City.

"That's a bad day," I thought as I scrambled to read the details.

Now for full disclosure I have had to help investigate three instances of crane tip-overs.

They aren't pretty scenes.

There's a lot of blaming going on.

At one of them the people involved were offering up every excuse in the book.

I think one of the guys even said:

"The glove didn't fit."

But there are a couple of universal truths that I know going in to an investigation.

1). It's usually human error

and

2). People lie.

Not some people. Not a few people.

All people.

In a deal like the one noted above.

Now maybe lying is a bit strong...but people certainly want to distance themselves from the decision or action that culminated in the devastating result.

I always tell a story...in my training classes...of Jake at about the age of six.

He was playing his Gameboy and he was getting pissed.

"Don't do it!" I warned him as it became apparent that he was way too frustrated.

Jake tried for a couple of minutes more and then he threw the Gameboy...

...through a window...

...that wasn't open.

As the glass littered the carpet I turned to him in shocked horror.

"I didn't do it," he said.

I laughed.

I can imagine that there is a lot of "I didn't do it" going on in the big city this week.

I certainly feel for those who were hurt or killed.

A horrible tragedy.

I hope I never see a similar photo again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie