Really?

I have a great fear that 2016 is going to turn into a real mess and the divide is going to grow wider and wider between the two political parties in this land.

There are a whole bunch of reasons why this seems to be likely.

And the other morning I grabbed a bowl of cereal and listened to an interview with one of the candidates.

Trump had decided not to participate in the Republican debate. I believe it was the Today Show where he was captured for the interview.

30 seconds into the interview I only had a single question.

Really?

Trump was basically shouting over the question of his interviewer. He was speaking of two things:

How terrific he is.

And

How much of a loser the other people are.

All through the day I thought about that interview.

Is this the best we can do?

(In full disclosure...none of the candidates has made me say...'that's my favorite').

But...

Now I get the side of the people who are for the Make America Great portion of the argument.

As frightened as I am about the lack of depth of such a statement...

...I understand the complaints.

And certainly all things can not be dismissed.

Fear of the unknown.

Mistrust of that which we do not fully understand.

A pure hatred for a religion that has a billion members, but is completely different.

Patriotism.

I hear those complaints.

Vote for either party at your own peril.

But I decided that perhaps I wasn't being fair based on a single interview so I listened to another one...

...and one after that.

Really?

I heard the same thing:

"I'm terrific."

"______ is a loser."

A complete lack of depth.

An absolute dismissal of other points of view.

A daring to disagree.

Bully, bully, bully.

"Maybe we're wrong," a trusted friend once said to me.

Maybe.

But I must be completely missing the boat on this one.

I can't believe it has gone this far.

Really.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie