What Did I Miss?

Being out of routine is weird for me, but one of the good things about it was that I missed a lot of the news.

Like the State of the Union...

...I hate that speech anyway.

From the applause, to the mocking of whatever party doesn't have the speaker at the podium, to the horrible rebuttal afterwards.

But it's weird to think that the next state of the union will be done by a different president.

8 years will have gone by quickly.

I also missed commenting on a lot of the Powerball stuff.

Weird dynamic there, right?

We kicked around what might happen if we won all that money.

An obscene amount.

Don't you think there's a chance when you plunk down your two bucks for the ticket?

I bought tickets in New York and Arizona.

I checked them, knowing that getting even a single number would be a chore.

It was.

Imagine if we all plunked down two bucks to say, get rid of poverty.

A novel idea.

We wouldn't raise a million bucks with a contest like that.

But alas, the prize is being claimed.

Just not by us.

I, not surprisingly, did a lot of reading on the trip...just two books though...nothing obscene...but one of those was by true crime author M.William Phelps, who I met at an awards ceremony a few years back.

Phelps does a lot of research on horrific murders all across this great nation. We had a couple of beers back then and talked about some of the people he'd met.

"Pure evil," he told me. "Some people are just absolute monsters."

I wondered if getting into the minds of such people had any influence on how Phelps lives his life. I found that he was a family man...and met his wife...and a spiritual guy. We talked about God, about writing, and about those monsters.

It's weird reading the books that Phelps puts out each year and I've even seen him interviewed on the True Detectives series.

"I'll never be out of a job," he told me.

And think about that. Since Cain slew Abel...people have been killing one another and he's right...no matter what...it will continue to happen.

Did the Donald do anything while I was gone?

I've lost interest.

I know that there is some question about Ted Cruz being a Cuban Canadian and not an American but that makes me not want to watch any of it.

Will Donald as president eventually lose steam?

I can't see it ever working.

It might be funny, but it's kind of a serious job, right?

Ah well.

Had I won the Powerball none of it would've mattered.

I might have even plunked Pops out of obscurity and we could've formed our own ticket.

We would've won too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie