Begin Again

I think that there are plenty of people out there who have to start things over every now and again.

Following a divorce, or a loss, or a busted up relationship.

Losing a job or a car, or dog, or home.

The best part of life is that there's always still hope.

In the spot where everything is free.

Inside your heart and mind.

The first few days of January always make me think about the starting over part of things, and it's silly, actually.

The mindset goes like this:

"I'm gonna' lose weight, or be careful with money."

"I'm gonna' appreciate what I have instead of missing what I don't have."

"I'm gonna' drink less, smoke less, exercise more."


The hope.

The belief that we can do better.

Hemmingway said:

"True nobility isn't about being better than your fellow man. It's about being better than your former self."

And I like that.

We should always strive to do more, be better, laugh more, feel hate less.

Yeah.

All noble thoughts.

The road can get real tough to navigate when we keep looking back, stop moving, or take detours.

So, straight ahead, I suppose.

And I wonder about all the people who are posting the self-affirming thoughts this week.

I hope they can sustain.

Because sometimes we need to begin again.

And there's no reason why we can't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie