Whack Jobs

My dogs stick their heads out the window as we drive down the road to get the paper each morning.

Every once in awhile there's a man walking down the street and Paris barks at him.

He looks at the dogs and waves as if he were a four-year-old.

It's an odd thing, actually, because the man is a huge, physically-imposing man who appears to transform into a happy little boy.

I probably wouldn't have considered it troublesome until I actually met the man in the gas station/convenience store.

"I like your dogs," he said.

When I looked into the man's eyes it was readily apparent that the elevator didn't go all the way to the top.

But still, we chatted.

(He may have been wondering the same thing).

When he turned and left the cashier looked to me.

"Stay away from that guy, he's a complete 'whack job'."

I sorta' laughed, but she wasn't kidding around.

"You see all these shootings," she said. "If I heard that he was someday arrested for it I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised."

Of course, that was months ago, but I thought about it in the context of what has happened around the country in 2015.

And you know what stinks?

He can legally get the weaponry he needs to carry out the tragedy.

He just can.

And I know...I know...he can get the guns illegally too...but why should it be easy for him?

And here in New York State it isn't easy.

And yeah, I can get a gun too and so can the cashier and we can all shoot it out if it comes to that...

...but I think about all the 'whack jobs' running around out there.

You think of it.

Do you know people who are a little short in the brain and even more importantly the heart and soul department?

Can you call to mind a few dozen people who wouldn't be a surprise on the evening news?

Do you know anyone who is preparing for the end of times?

Some political candidates say that we should all call the cops every single time we suspect someone of being dangerous.

I hate to think of the switchboard at the police precinct if we all do that.

And yet...

...there are serious mental health issues all around us.

Back in the 1980's we closed down the mental health facilities.

We made people who are suffering from mental health issues homeless.

They don't care about the laws when they're lost in the wilderness of their own minds.

Worse yet?

There are millions of people bent on making Americans suffer.

They are already here.

They came without weapons.

Because they can buy them here...and kill American citizens with them.

And they can do it without check and millions will defend their rights to amass their weaponry.

Scary.

No wonder Paris barks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie