Elf on the Shelf

Thank God we didn't have the stupid Elf on the Shelf deal when our kids were little.

My beautiful wife would've had a question for me every single day:

"Where the hell is the elf?"

We are on an eternal Easter Egg hunt around here on most every day between Kathy and Sam...

...they lose everything!

"Have you seen my phone?"

"Did you move the dog medicine?"

"Where are my car keys?"


So...I thought about just writing about the Elf on the Shelf and what it might be doing to the psyche of kids who are afraid that a stuffed toy is working as a spy and torturing them on a daily basis.

But then I saw something else:

A meme that said:

"When I was a kid I didn't need an elf on the shelf to motivate me to behave during Christmas time. I had a belt on the shelf that motivated me to behave the whole year through!"

Naturally I had to go to the comment section to read such gems of wisdom as this:

"My parents believed in whacking me with a belt to get in line and I turned out fine! My kids know when they're in trouble by the welts I leave on their asses! They don't need an elf!"

Really?

I just don't get it!

We know enough about human behavior to understand that hitting someone doesn't actually help them!

That's fear you are getting back...not respect.

Think about this as well...where else are we allowed to whack someone to get a point across?

Should we be allowed to beat our boss to get his attention?

How about we belt the spouse to get them to keep their car keys in the same spot every day?

Wouldn't work, right?

We'd be arrested.

How about whipping the dog to house train him?

Ask Michael Vick about that form of discipline.

Why can we hit the kids then?

I don't get it!

The old 'My Dad beat the hell out of me and I'm fine' argument doesn't work out either.

That generation drove around loaded too...

...we are supposed to evolve.

My boys respect us.

We didn't use an elf.

We didn't beat them, either.

We very rarely scream at them to get a point across.

You need to hit your kids to get their respect?

There are other tools in the tool box.

The elf thing is supposed to be fun.

Intimidation just isn't the perfect motivating tool.

Is it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie