Social Media

Isn't it wonderful?

Where else can you go to hear from someone you knew in the 2nd grade, or fight with a complete and total stranger?

I thought about it a lot yesterday because I answered a whole bunch of 'Happy Birthday' messages.

There were a few very interesting new photos of me...I'll be using the one of me as a Yankee in a Tops baseball card...great shot.
(Thanks, Dan).

But the well wishes also made me smile all day long.

You see, being a tad O.C.D. I can't possibly just wait until all the messages arrive and then send out a blanket 'Thank-you'.

I have to respond immediately to each one.

Which makes for a busy day.

But that is certainly the gift that social media brings.

There are old friends -from grammar school-from high school-from college, and now onto work who I'd never actually hear from unless we were simply trading messages on Twitter or Facebook.

And it's not like you know everyone like you did back in the day...

...but at least you know that they're still out there and they're still kinda' in your life.

I'm wondering how much more it will advance too.

Sharing our thoughts...on a pretty consistent basis...has already changed relationships in the real world.

Think about it:

I sent a message a few weeks ago that said:

"Was just in a coffee shop and there was a guy sitting there, drinking his coffee, without a phone or a computer. I think he's a psychopath."

Stop by a waiting room now.

Heads down...no one looking at anyone else.

People just playing games on their little tablets.

Do an experiment:

Say 'Hi' to someone who is engrossed in their game or on their feed.

They may just have a heart attack right in front of you.

Now, I'm no better than anyone else.

I read a lot of stuff on my phone.

I've read at least 20 books on that small screen.

But is it ruining us?

Do we not see the people around us anymore?

We are all so busy staying in touch...

...that we're actually losing touch.

It was great to get all the messages yesterday...

...I thanked God that I have such a great family and so many friends through my days.

But there also came a moment when I set the phone down for a few minutes so I didn't miss any of the real people who were walking by.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie