MLB Playoffs

Yeah...the Yankees are gone, but man...the baseball playoffs are awesome.

On Friday the games were on from noon until one in the morning.

"More baseball?" My beautiful wife asked as Sam flipped it to the Cards-Cubs game.

"All day!" He said.

We watched Prince Fielder bat. We all cheered hard against the Blue Jays in an epic 14-inning game, and during one of the breaks there was a commercial asking what the greatest baseball memory of your life is.

Sam turned to me:

"What is it?"

Four memories immediately came to mind:

4). Chris Chambliss hit a home run in the 9th inning to propel the Yankees to a win over the Royals. My Dad watched that game with me. We were the only two who stuck with it to the end and when the ball cleared the wall Dad said:

"How about a celebration sandwich?"

Dad made the best sandwiches.

3). I was on a soccer field when the Yankees played the Red Sux in the one-game playoff in '78. I hated soccer. I wanted to skip the game, but my parents were insistent on making me finish what I started so I took a transistor radio with me and was listening to the playoff game as my stupid soccer game went on. Yet, my coach was also a huge Yankees fan and he pulled a fast one:

He put me in the game!

And stole my radio!!

I was running by the bench when he yelled out:

"Bucky Dent just hit a 3-run homer."

I ran off the field with the ball still in play.

We high-fived.

2). Jake was in the hospital. We had no idea what they were going to do about the tumor. The Yankees were down two games to zip to the Oakland A's and while holding a thin 1-0 lead there was a base hit to the corner. The throw was way off line as the A's player raced to the plate...and suddenly...there was Jeter...in the middle of the field...flipping it to home plate to nab the runner.

I got goosebumps watching it.

I remember Kathy calling me from the hospital room...I remember being fearful when I heard her voice. She said:

"Jake is sleeping comfortably. I just called to see if you saw Jeter make that play."

And the number one memory?

1). It was my 13th birthday. Reggie was a superstar. He homered once. He homered twice. He homered three times. I was absolutely convinced that he did it for me. I still associate Reggie with my birthday.

That was a nice gift.

I think that the playoffs can be really great this year...

...but a lot of you are too consumed with how many flags the refs can throw in a game of concussion-bound, criminals.

That's too bad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie