I KNOW!!!!!

I had to actually silence my phone on Tuesday night.

I started to get the texts in about the 6th inning.

"What's wrong with YOUR Yankees?????"

"$220 million payroll and they're getting beat!"

"Do you think C.C. has a television on in rehab?"


I answered a few of the good-natured jabs with things like...

"27"

"The 27-Time World Champion Greatest Franchise in the History of Organized American Sports."


I even threw in a:

"Are they on tonight? I'm so bored with the 7 titles I've watched them win...I sometimes just forget that they're in the playoffs."

But I wanted to get some sleep.

After the final out I shut my phone off.

And when I turned it on again in the morning those taunts were waiting for me.

I opened my eyes and the thought that their season was over hit me.

There was no pain involved.

They had a nice year.

But then the texting started:

"How pissed are you?"

"They suck!"

"You suck as bad as them."

"Good thing Steinbrenner isn't alive."


Then the phone rang.

"The Spankees lost."

"I KNOW!!!!"


I screamed at the poor bastard who had chanced a call.

Listen:

I've been rooting for sports teams since about 1968.

I've followed all the major sports and I have, at one time or another, rooted for the following teams:

The Buffalo Bills, The Buffalo Braves, The Buffalo Sabres, The Los Angeles Lakers (when Wilt was there), The Atlanta Braves (when Henry Aaron was there), and the New York Yankees.

I now only openly root for one of those teams.

You know how many titles I've seen?

Eight.

1 by the Lakers in 1973 when they won 33 straight.

and

7 by the Yankees - 1977, 1978, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2009.

The rest of you dopey bastards that are calling me have fewer titles than that.

Unless you're Yankees fans.

Then we are virtually tied.

So shut up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie