Where's God?


About 25 years ago, in the book Eye in the Sky, the protagonist of the story is greeted by the antagonist who has hassled him all year long. The antagonist says:

"So many bad things have happened to you. I am sorry for what I did. But tell me, where is God in all this."

The protagonist says: "He's right there. In your eyes, as you apologize to me."

I wrote that over 25 years ago.

For the 2nd straight weekend I had an almost religious experience.

You see, I was standing outside in the rain as it tumbled down...hard and cold, with thunder, lightning and the guy on the radio telling us to get indoors. I looked to the sky and in an accusatory tone asked God why He couldn't let the sun shine. In an instant, an understanding came over me.

They're still going to come.

And they showed up. Every wonderful person pulled into the lot. Those who helped stage it. Corinne, Chuck, Jan, Pops, Jeff Renaldo, Shannon, Michelle, Terrie, Kim, Carrie, the Switala's, Boj.

They sent wonderful prizes: Dave Neisser, Jill & Jim Kelly, Terry & Ellen Hancock, Keith & Becky Neilligan, Colantino's, Renaldo's, Mathis', Brad Gier.

They showed up to play: the mad dogs, the Lions, the prairie chickens, Matt Snell's new team, Chris Miller.

And I walked around.

God was there.

In the tears in my mother's eyes as she just kept muttering about the love being overwhelming. In the hugs I shared with the Weisers, my cousins Tony and Wendy, in the stuffed peppers that went - 400 of'em. In people driving hundreds of miles... Al, Tom, Terry, the Switalas, Carrie and Jim!

To send their love.

Rocco won a Jim Kelly hat! Carrie won the Bruce cd's, I got a Yankee jersey! Farrah won the handmade jewelry from Lynn Lombard, Pops, the chef, won the grill donated by the Renaldo's.

The fix was in, but not a fix of mere mortals, mind you.

God's hand was involved. Those prizes went to where they were supposed to go without any sort of guidance!

And the day was set up so that I would get the first at-bat with American Land blaring behind me. As I stepped into the box, I said thank-you to Jan and tapped my bat off home plate. I looked up like Nick Swisher might.

"Let me get a hit," I whispered to Jeff.

I grounded the first pitch straight to the pitcher as my boy Sam raced to first. The pitcher let him arrive there safely.

As I headed back to the jeers from the Lions team...thanks Al and Frank and John...I could almost hear Jeff's voice in my ear.

"They don't let me perform miracles!"

Thank you to all!

I'm a changed man because of your love.

Now if only I could walk without pain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie