Bill Lee, Graig Nettles, Carlton Fisk, Bucky Effing Dent and Reginald Martinez Jackson

I was playing soccer when the Yankees and the Red Sux battled for first place in the epic playoff game at Fenway Park during the 1978 season when the Yankees had been 14 games out of first in mid-July.

I was in the 9th grade and I had settled in with my radio and an ear bud. My coach was also a lifelong Yankee fan and he ordered me into the game because he wanted my radio.

I was running (if you can call that running) down the field when the coach, with the game going on all around me, yelled: "Hey Fuzzy, Bucky Dent just hit a three-run homer."

I remember it as if it were yesterday. I also remember that my Dad had called in sick to work - something he might have done twice in his life - to be home in time to see that game. He was home watching it with John, Jim and Jeff. Carrie and Corinne were also keeping an eye on it, as was Mom.

Last night the Yanks and Red Sux came into the game tied for 1st in the East. I had thought about it a few times during the day, but it wasn't the same.

For one, there is a wild card now. So both teams will make it to October. Secondly, sports has lost some of its illusion. I'm not a kid anymore. They make so much freaking money that it sickens me a little. Steroids, the fact that both teams have won recently...Dad isn't here. Jeff isn't here. John and Jim, and Corinne and Carrie were all watching it elsewhere.

But the Yankees won!

They came from behind and beat the bastards and took first place.

I said that it changed.

I didn't say that it still isn't great to see the Red Sux go down.

More today. CC is on the hill.

I smell a two game lead coming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie