The Earth Shakes

I didn't feel the earthquake. As far as I know it could all be a rumor that started on Facebook somewhere. But I have no reason to doubt it. The universe struggles sometimes to get into a perfect position.

What is interesting about it is that every time the earth shifts a bit someone is out there telling me to prepare for the end of time. The day of reckoning is nearly upon us. They've been saying that since before Christ appeared once.

Are we ready people?

The earth is shifting around here as well. Tomorrow is the day when we load up the truck and shift Matt off to his first year of college. My beautiful wife feels as if the ground she is standing upon has shifted so much that she may eventually lose her balance.

I went off to college. I know that he is not about to enter a world of angst and pain. He's on his way to a ton of fun days.

Yet I am also mindful, despite the jubilation, that he is being afforded an opportunity.

(Oh wifey, this is the part where you make Matt read this blog).

Our pockets are filled with choices. In one pocket we have our personal seeds of destruction. We spill them all over the land. From California-to-Connecticut-to Erie and Maryland I have spilled the seeds but unfortunately the bad shit didn't take hold...very often.

Like myself Matt is being handed a chance to get ahead of others based on decisions made for him by the people who love him. He has a full opportunity to succeed.

Yet the world is filled with people who stood before the opportunity, spit on it, pissed all over it, and then walked away blaming something else.

Responsibility is a funny thing. It must be felt to be understood. There are a million guys and girls who head off to school without truly feeling as if they are responsible for anything.

"I'm having the time of my life and my parents are proud of me," was a toast we used to do in college. Or words similiar to that - there may have been a few adjectives involved.

So, Matt, understand that along with the seeds of destruction that are known to every man, your mother and I also filled your pockets with a light and a map so that when you're confronted with darkness you will be able to find your way to the door.

Don't lose the map.

You're going to need it.

Make the choices.

Have the time of your life.

And just when you think that your feet are firmly planted on the ground, remember:

the earth shakes.

Comments

So true, very well written Cliff!
Anonymous said…
I have no clue what you are talking about!
Cliff Fazzolari said…
George...you raised that toast and if I'm not mistaken, when you heard "time in a bottle" you remarked, "if I could save time in a bottle I'd probably drink it."
chris said…
Awesome writing, I wish I had the opportunity to have read that when I was in school, I might have made some better decisions as I have lots of pockets, u could write a book just for the college student: Clifford 101 ! Cheers & a shot

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie