What Were You Doing When You Were 20?

I watched the Daytona 500 yesterday. Well, actually I watched laps 84 to 90 and then 196 to 200. Sam, who loves sports, and talking sports with his Uncle Chuck, made this call to Chuck during laps 84 to 90.

Sam: Hey, Uncle Chuck, I'm watching NASCAR and I only have one question for you. How in the hell do you watch this crap?

Chuck didn't call him back. I yelled at Sam for saying hell, but he made me laugh when he asked me how bored I was.

Yet the end was worth it as a 20-year old kid won it. Four years after passing his driver's test. One year before he is allowed to legally drink.

What had you done before the age of 20?

I can't even remember it real well, but I know I hadn't accomplished much. Finished a few beer bongs, certainly. Much more than that? Nah.

I decided to turn it on my kids. I went at Matt who will be turning 18 in a few months.

"That kid just made millions winning the Dayton a 500," I said. "And you can't even empty the dishwasher without asking for help."

Matt stepped right into the trap.

"He won a car race! Big deal! I can drive a car."

"Yeah, into the back of a school bus going three miles an hour," I said.

But it was something to see. I loved the interview with the kids mother. She explained that Trevor had been working towards it 'his whole life'.

Really? All 20 years? Wow!

You gotta' figure he wasn't driving the first, oh ten or twelve years, right?

Remarkable, really. I know that the whole race car thing is all sort of Ricky Bobby, but getting it done is quite an achievement.

Here's hoping that the kid is able to keep his head as the fame sweeps him under in the next couple of weeks.

And what is with NASCAR anyway? It was the first race of the season and now no one will watch. Shouldn't they put the best race at the end?

Just saying.

That's why in the hell no one watches that crap.

Comments

deafjeff said…
He was go cart racing at 5. Pretty much his whole life. Who cares it's NASCAR.
Gag said…
Nascar is great. Next year I'll invite Uncle Chuck to our party.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie