Mmmmmmm Meat

Went to the hockey game last night and since it was work related I got to sit in one of the suites where they bring food in. I had sampled a bit of dinner before the game, but what the hell, a man has to eat, right? Besides rehab is allowing me to partake in more food since I don't have to worry about booze.

So I was eating a few chicken wings when this woman explained to me that she doesn't eat any meat.

I had a bunch of stray thoughts, none appropriate, flash across my brain, but I asked her how she found it satisfying to eat a meal. I love pasta, and eat nearly all vegetables, but no meat?

Can't do it.

In fact, I was so inspired by the discussion today I stopped by Elk Provision to stock up on some meat, and I was thrilled to pay the bill, knowing that the freezer will be full, and that I can have steak for dinner...tonight, tomorrow and the next six days if I want it.

"We were running low," I said to Ed, a man who I know only because our family has been buying meat there for years and years.

"A Fazzolari without a chance to eat himself to oblivion is a sad Fazzolari," he said.

"My kids have expensive tastes," I said. "They are eating me out of house and home."

Ed laughed. "I had the exact conversation with your father about thirty years ago. 30pork chops for one dinner," he said. "I still tell people about that."

And Ed wasn't making it up. My mother would cook 30 pork chops when we were all at home. That's roughly four apiece. And there were very rarely any leftovers.

So, I returned home and wrapped the meat for the freezer. I was thinking of that silly girl who doesn't eat 'anything with a face' as she told me.

I also thought of the money spent at Elk through the years.

And then I thought about the steak the kids are going to devour tonight. When all else fails...there still is meat.

Lovely, wonderful, meat.

Gotta' go. Time to grill the steaks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty