Have a Glass of Wine With Me

A couple of months ago 60 Minutes did a piece about a group of people who are able to recall every day of their lives, remembering what they ate, what they were wearing, and how they felt...on any given day...of their life!

Can you imagine having such an ability?

Marilu Henner the hot red head from Taxi was in the group and I heard an interview with her on Howard shortly after the 60 Minutes. Her recall was fascinating.

Now I'm not saying I have such an ability, but I definitely am able to recall conversations and days, and since I write every freaking thing down, I am able to keep track of some pretty mundane crap.

For one reason or another a lot of the memories float back with no effort at all and this morning, at 4:15, I thought about a day when I was a senior in college and I sat up with my father even though I had to get up early the next morning for a return trip to my "studies" at Gannon in Erie.

"Have a glass of wine with me," my father said.

In those days Dad was making Dago Red in our basement. The wine was ready and he wanted to share a little with someone.

We sat at the kitchen table and talked sports, school, and the dynamics of the family. There was just a lot of talking, some laughter, and the Dago Red. I remember Dad telling me that I should never really trust a man who refused to share a drink with you. I remember that I was wearing a Don Mattingly t-shirt with the number 23 on the back. I still have a Mattingly shirt. (Not the same one - couldn't fit in that one!).

So we shared a few. And given the potency of the wine...it didn't take much...and given the fact that wine always messes me up, I was slurring my words when I went to bed.

The next morning, I felt, and must have looked like hell. My mother, having no idea that Dad was feeding me wine asked me why I looked so poor. I told her I thought I was getting the flu.

When I brushed my teeth that morning I felt drunk all over again.

I remember my Dad laughing when I told him my head hurt. He never skipped a beat.

After a nap, I headed back to school. I distinctly remember the long drive to Erie and the bottles of water I sipped in an effort to get back a bit of sense.

Twenty-five years later...the entire night popped back in my head.

For no reason at all.

But I'm glad it did.

Comments

John said…
I saw that 60 Minutes episode and thought of you (but I thought a lot more about Marilu Henner afterwards, sorry)
Oddly enough, when you drink the Dago Red and get completely hammered, you remember the evening. The first time I had it was with Jeff and some friends. I stayed in bed the entire next day, but the memories are so clear...
Cliff Fazzolari said…
John, That must have been an evening to remember around your place. I hope you lit a few candles after watching Marilu. She was a first real crush for a lot of us - until Winnie Cooper came along!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie