Super Bowl Memories

On the night before the Super Bowl between the Bears and the Patriots I was at a frat party making so much noise about how the Bears would win by forty points that a guy stood up and shouted me down.

"I'll bet you a hundred bucks they don't beat them by forty."

Being a brash, drunk college student I took the bet. Waking up the next morning my roommates were all over me, asking me where in the world I would possibly get $100 to pay off the bet.

The Bears won 45-3.

On the night when the Bills made the Super Bowl for the first time, I remember the shiver that went up and down my spine when the team was announced and ran onto the field in Tampa.

For the next two weeks after that game, I couldn't think straight. Giants 20 Bills 19...they should have won. 20 years later and it still bugs me.

Don't even ask me about the next three losses.

I remember the 49ers coming down the field trailing the Bengals with less than 2 minutes in the game. I was living alone in West Haven, Ct. I didn't care who won, but as the 49ers got the ball, I knew one thing for sure, they were going to win. Montana was too good.

Vinateri's field goal to give the Pats a win over Carolina changed the score in my favor and my brother and I split three grand from a gas station pool.

That might have been my favorite Super Bowl.

Just a couple of years prior, with the money on the line as Oakland played Tampa and the score in my favor, Rich Gannon threw an interception for Oakland. If the idiot from Tampa, with the game already safely in hand, would've gone down, I would have made that three grand. He ran it back for 6....last play of the freaking game...and I lost.

If I see Rich Gannon today I might punch him.

What else?

The Steelers wins all bunch together for me. Same with the Pats and 49ers. I find it interesting that people cry about teams having no chance in baseball because there is no salary cap, but we continue to see the same teams over and over in football. Could that cap be a little softer than we think?

Look it up...more new champs in baseball over the last 25 years.

So, I will watch the game today...knowing that if it is going to be truly memorable that my pool numbers have to come in.

Lord knows the Bills won't be ready to contend again until I'm well into my 60's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty