So Long Andy

Drift back in time with me until 1996, won't you?

It was a year before I got married. So there weren't any children kicking around yet. I had just purchased my first house. I was playing softball with my friends, drinking as much beer as I could get my hands on. I had just rescued my dog Max from the SPCA, and I had a girl hanging around with me, all the time, for some reason, acting as if I were a viable adult. My third book was released that year.

And all I ever thought about was the New York Yankees. I needed a World Series title...bad. It had been 18 years since they last won.

As luck might have it, they had a great team. A young guy on that team, Andy Pettite was just starting out. He was pitching game 5 of the World Series against John Smoltz. The series was tied at 2. The game was 1-0 Yankees late in the game.

The beer was flowing. My brothers were watching with me. Kathy was there. Max was at my feet. Pettite pitched into the 9th. Two nights later, the Yankees won the series.

Life was grand.

Andy retired today. Must be nice to retire from work at 37.

I have learned so much about life since that October night just 14 years ago. So much that I would like to not know now. So much that I needed to learn.

And some things haven't changed.

I still like World Series titles.

And beer.

I don't have a lot of sports idols anymore.

They lie and cheat and act like asses.

But I will miss Andy. For his aw shucks personality. For his great left arm. Because he wore the interlocking NY on his cap for so long.

Because they really need him next year!

But I understand. He is quitting because he wants to watch his kids grow up. He wants to drive them to school. He wants to hang around with his wife.

I wouldn't have understood such logic 14 short years ago.

I honestly do now.

Some things are more important than watching the Yankees win the World Series.

Did I really just write that????????

Comments

Larry L said…
That was a great series even if the Braves came up short.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie