Who's Better Off?

My favorite new philosopher Will Smith explained that we should begin our day by asking ourselves - "Who's better off because I woke up today."

I like the sentiment because it gets me out of the what can I do for myself frame of mind and forces me to think of those around me. For starters, the dogs are better off, for sure. They are waiting patiently now for their morning Cheerios and a trip to the backyard. (My God what that backyard must look like now - I'm thinking at least 3 hours of picking up crap).

The boys - we're going to the wrestling matches tonight with Uncle Chuck - I am anticipating a good 12-hour recap on who's going to be there and who will win the death matches. This discussion, of course, will be followed by 5 hours of wrestling with fireworks, threats, scantily-clad women in the ring (I didn't say it was all bad), and a midnight finish with work coming tomorrow.

Kathy? Of course- her day is always enriched when I get up and out of bed.

Yet what really is disheartening is if you think of Will Smith's deal from the other side. It must be a lonely proposition when you realize that your getting up on any given day doesn't really matter to anyone.

There I go putting the negative spin on it, right?

Well, no, I suppose. I'm actually thinking that if you do feel that way there are plenty of opportunities for you to make a difference, somewhere.

I'm writing this after reading about the man who swindled $50 billion off of Wall Street investors. I'm wondering how he could possibly look at himself in the mirror, knowing that he was doing so much wrong to so many innocent people.

What do people like that do? Remove their mirrors?

It's sounding like a windy day out there. The trip to get the morning paper doesn't exactly excite me right now as it's gotta' be cold.

Yet I feel pretty good rising up out of bed this morning because I'm not the world's number one movie star like Will Smith is, but I'm right there with him on who needs me to move around and be productive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty