The Creek is Rising

All righty then... handled the flood in the basement with a sense of humor and compete determination. Went to bed tired and sore, but it was a good tired, you know? Woke early with a renewed resolve.

I Should have stayed in bed.

For those of you who don't understand my mechanical incompetence, pay attention here. I got the dogs outside easily enough, but coming back up the stairs noticed that the light was flickering in the hallway. Being proactive, I decided to change the light bulb and score points for my diligence. How many writers does it take to change a light bulb? Obviously more than one.

I dropped the light cover, shattering it on the steps below, but I did change the bulb, and the wet-dry vac was handy so I plugged it in and started cleaning the steps before the kids came down in bare feet. Plugging in the vacuum with the humidifier and the heater working blew a fuse. No idea how to fix that, so I got down on my hands and knees to clean up the glass.

Kathy was in another part of the house unaware of my little adventure, so I left the house to get the newspaper. The wind was whipping the garbage container around, so I took it to the road and away from the house. The wind whipped the cover open and a full bag of garbage broke open and debris scattered through the neighborhood.

"I'll just get the paper, get a cup of coffee, and relax a minute," I told my beating heart.

I made the quarter-mile drive to the store, feeling something wet on the steering wheel - I had cut a finger on my right hand and the DNA was on the steering wheel and three of my other fingers. I paid the clerk with my left hand.

By the time I got home, the lights in all areas of the house flickered on and off. Kathy found the broken light cover. The dogs needed to come in the house.

"What the hell are you doing?" Kathy asked.

"Going back to bed," I said. "Good luck cleaning up."

So, I've been banished from helping out. I'll chip in by getting dinner ready, going to church, and doing the dishes.

They're calling for rain the rest of the day...

Comments

deafjeff said…
Shit man, I'm still in the basement cleaning from the flood. Unforunately for me, I'm not mechanically retarded, so I get to do all the crap while my Cliff sips coffee and watches the tube. I hereby unbanish you, fairy princess.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie