And So It Ends

One woman in the grocery store was complaining about the length of the Christmas season - "I can't wait 'till it's over," she moaned.

Well it feels a bit like it's over today. My head was real cloudy when I woke up this morning - perhaps from the wild celebration at my out-laws last night, that concluded with me and the boys singing Badlands on the Karaoke machine (I always wanted to be a rock and roller - judging by the crowd reaction and the couple of photos I saw - Bruce might be better at me in his job - then again, he never could have eaten and drank what I put away).

"You want to take the kids bowling?" one of my buddies asked.

"Uh, no freaking way," may have been the not so polite way of answering him - yet I was done. I didn't even want to walk to the mailbox to retrieve the mail today.

The afternoon nap was longer than two hours. Dinner will be a leftover party. Tonight's entertainment will be whatever doesn't offend me on television, and tomorrow may well be much of the same.

"Are you tired?" I asked Kathy - who did a lot of the heavy lifting during this holiday season.

"Uh, yeah," she said.

And so it ends, I have 42 photos of the kids unwrapping presents; I received enough new clothes to not get arrested for loitering in the upcoming year; I have this extra weight that I'm carrying around - who knows if it'll ever go away; I'll be rooting hard for guys named CC, AJ, and Tex.

Yet I also have a mindful of memories and new stories to tell that come with hanging around people that I love - ask me about watching my Dad open a present and our subsequent discussion (it was worth every dime spent this year and not quite appropriate for this rated PG blog)- and that is where it does begin and end.

Christmas '08 is in the books and while it wasn't free of an inter-family squabble here or there - it was pretty much perfect from where I'm sitting.

Now if I can only get rid of the acid-feeling in my stomach from the stuffed peppers and the shot of Crown...ah, living and loving.... it comes with a price.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty