We're Almost There

Ah, anticipation. Christmas Eve always brings that feeling along with it - we're almost to the big day, Family, love, the perfect moment, the presents, the food, the beer. I slept lousy last night and I believe that some of it has to do with waiting for the moment to finally arrive.

There was a Christmas long ago when my sister and I decided we could no longer wait -we woke up in the middle of the night to see if Santa showed - it was never fully guaranteed when we were kids, and not because my parents couldn't afford it, but because our behavior was borderline psychotic.

Anyway, Corinne and I burst on the scene and rather than being loud, we simply played with our toys - I even broke one - before my mother discovered us. Once the other kids got up Corinne and I were made to sit and wait for an hour while they played - there was certainly anticipation in that hour!

Now I consider the anticipation in my kids - they're ready, they're wishing it was Thursday morning, but the number one lesson in life is never to wish time away - enjoy each day - try telling that to children's waiting on presents.

Yet anticipation became something all new for me - the word doesn't bring up Christmas Eve anymore. Instead, I think of the anticipation that went into my children being born. I had been awake all night waiting for the moment - you can say it was more about Kathy than me, but she got a solid six hours as I waited.

In the delivery room everyone was calling out that it was almost time, and we waited and waited. It was real important to have the baby delivered on time in Sam's case because the Yankee game was starting.

The game started at 2:05 - Sam arrived at 2:09. Good boy!

Anyway, I think of each birth and the moment of absolute happiness that followed. In that moment, there is perfect love, and happiness and the world seems to make a little bit of sense. In that exact split-second of time, mother, father and new family member understand what it means to be alive.

In the anticipation of Christmas Eve it is easy to forget about the birth of a child - in the case of Jesus - brought to me by the nuns (sometimes accompanied with a swift kick) I am reminded that the anticipation I feel is for the entire universe, and what that birth meant to the entire family of people still living, breathing, and dying.

So, I suppose, as you wait, you consider the true gifts of Christmas. I need to make sauce, stuff some peppers, have a few drinks, laugh with family members, watch the children go crazy, spend some time with my wife, all in anticipation...

Anticipation of what is really important.

Comments

deafjeff said…
Merry Christmas buddy, may Santa bring you all your heart desires. Hope you can catch a nap in between visits, for that is a true miracle.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie